ITTS wants to shout-out to all of you about our wonderful Emerging Leaders from Teams J, K & L. Be sure to review their completed projects, available from the links below.
Team J (the J-bots)
Just how Web2.0 should we go? With ALA planning for a new content management system for the website,
J-bots Emerging Leaders at ALA Annual Conference Poster Session
the J-bots surveyed our members about the interactive features they would like to see implemented. Should the home page be customizable? Should you be able to make a comment about an article? How about linking to a photo feed or displaying tweets? Read the J-bots final report to find out what members really want.
Team J’s Members
- Jeannie Chen, National Archives and Records Administration, Office of Presidential Libraries
- Justin Hoenke, Cape May County Library
- Susan Jennings, Appalachian State University Carol Grotnes Belk Library
- Anne Krakow, Saint Joseph’s University Francis A. Drexel Library
- Rafia Mirza, University of Texas at Arlington
Team K: Accessibility & Usability Testing
Team K developed a remotely-administered usability test that examined the accessibility of ALA’s
Members of Emerging Leaders Team K at ALA Annual Conference 2010
website to individuals using assistive devices. Volunteer test participants were recruited nationally and asked to complete a series of tasks on the website using their accustomed assistive devices. Participants were asked to answer a set of questions about their experiences in completing the tasks including strategies used, time spent, and obstacles encountered. Each task was analyzed based on participant responses to the task. Read Team K’s report and view their poster.
Team K’s Members
- Michelle Batchelor, Access Services Librarian, University of Washington-Bothell UWB/CCC Campus Library
- Lisa Chow, Librarian, Brooklyn Public Library
- Cynthia Matthias, Teen Services Librarian, Hennepin County Library – Brooklyn Park
- Jennifer Rutner, Assessment & Marketing Librarian, Columbia University Libraries
Team L (for Lost)
Team L was charged with developing a visual guide of ALA’s network of member-group and affiliate relationships, committees, event cycles, and other interactions and connections. The team interviewed several ALA staff members and member-volunteers and collected information from ALA websites and other documents for this project. They then built a
highly inter-connected PowerPoint available for download from Team L’s final project page
, which shows the association’s units and overall structure, and highlights connections between the various units. The PowerPoint includes many links to ALA and division websites, ALA Connect, and also includes internal links that show the many connections between ALA’s divisions, round tables, committees, offices, ALA Council, and other units.
The PowerPoint is a living document that may be edited by future Emerging Leaders groups or ALA staff as ALA itself changes over time. The PowerPoint will be posted on the ALA website, and will be used to orient members, member-leaders, and ALA staff.
ALA's 2010 Emerging Leaders Team L pose with their poster at ALA Annual Conference
Team L’s Members
- Jeff Bond, Texas Christian University Library
- Monifa Carter, University of Delaware Library
- Elizabeth Moreau, Anchorage Public Library
- Reagen Thalacker, USGS Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center Library